Continuous professional development (CPD) includes the ongoing acquisition of new knowledge, skills and attitudes to maintain and improve competency. To maintain an Alberta medical practice permit, Alberta physicians must be enrolled in:
- the MAINPRO program of the College of Family Physicians of Canada or
- the MOC program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Physicians are free to choose the professional development program that best meets their needs. Membership with the College of Family Physicians of Canada is not required to participate in Mainpro. Physicians who have never been members of the Royal College may enroll in the MOC program as non-members. However, it is our understanding that former Fellows must reinstate membership with the Royal College to join its MOC program.
Under the Health Professions Act, College Council is required to approve rules for physician participation in Continuous Professional Development. Following circulation of the proposed rules to the profession, Council approved the Rules for Member Participation in October 2010.
- To become a CFPC Member or Non-Member Mainpro Participant, please contact the National office at email@example.com, 1-800-387-6197 (ext. 204) or 905-629-0900 (ext. 204).
- MOC (members | non-members)
- To learn how to register for the MOC Program or for more information about the program contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-668-3740.
For more information, see Frequently Asked Questions or contact:
Sandra Hanington, Manager
780-969-5012 or 1-800-561-3899 ext. 5012 (in Alberta)